I decided to start playing around with some ideas for the "Global Jewellery Challenge" which is a Flickr-based project for jewellers around the world. The next challenge is to make something based on bird skulls. Loads of research and drawings later, I came up with some ideas which were arrived at largely from the fact that I can neither anneal or solder large sections of metal.
The first piece was made from found plastic:
This came from a pattern I made in paper and the main form is "folded" together by heating the plastic with a hairdryer and then forming it over clay. The pattern for this works so well that I also made one in silver, much smaller:
I really like both of these pieces and especially like the small silver skull, set with a very fine sapphire and a spessartine garnet.
That is all I'll be making before the first week in January as it is now holiday time!