Tuesday, August 23, 2011

magical!

Went to see Ravi Shankar at the Edinburgh Festival last night. Quite the best gig I have ever been to. He was amazing. I am so pleased to have been able to see him perform live, rather than just hearing his work from recordings.

Tuning Up


A photograph of the band tuning up with Ravi Shankar in the middle.
I'm actually at a loss to explain how good this was. I left physically shaking with excitement and walked home grinning like a loon.



Back in the workshop today and back to work on things. I've had an idea for a piece using some iron balls I found in a burnt-out warehouse in Kent four years ago:

Accidental Gehry 8


The balls are about 100mm across and hollow.

Balls


I've been inspired by the Alexander McQueen show at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, which we visited, and the piece will be a bit of a tribute to him.



Got round to dealing with some of the things I found or bought during the summer, including things found in Pittsburgh, stones from my stone-dealer and the stuff I bought in Evolution in NYC:

Pittsburgh Finds


Carved Skulls


Tourmaline Crystals