Tuesday, December 20, 2011

charmed iii

I received an email from Sharon Massey earlier this week, inviting me to submit some pieces for the third "Charmed" exhibition at the SCC in Pittsburgh, to which I happily agreed. Some time ago, Bob Ebendorf and I had been talking about me making a series of charm bracelets which I started but which never got anywhere as I couldn't get over the hurdle of creating a complex piece with essentially no "narrative". (The original plan was to create 10 bracelets and 100 charms which would be sold to order on the understanding that each bracelet would have 10 charms selected by the purchaser on a first-come-first-serve basis.) This means, however, that my "vague" WIP tray - projects started and abandoned to varying degrees of temporariness - has a fair selection of partially-completed charms. Thus I have managed to bring together five charms for the show in two days!
As the show is in Pittsburgh, I also incorporated some of the metal objects I found in the street when visiting over the summer:

Charmed III


Bird Skull and Zircon 2

 Natural blue zircon and polymer clay faux bird-skull by Dee Wilder.

Bone Skull and Spinel 1

 Spring washer, black spinel and freely-moving carved camel-bone skull.

Nut, Chrysoprase and Amethyst 1

 Nut, silver, amethyst and chrysoprase. I will clean the setting wax from the stone before sending!

Obsidian Skull, Garnet and Washer
 Obsidian skull set on a washer, hung with a garnet.

Sawblade and Needles 2

 Sawblade from Pittsburgh, needles from Clydebank.