Tuesday, January 31, 2012

another week

Despite the best intentions of the last post, I've not posted anything for a week as I've been embarking on a commission from a customer who does not want any of the details published online until she has received the piece.

Since I last wrote, I've been asked to have a solo showcase at the Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre in Wales. I've exhibited there before - in their Re:Collect show in 2009, so it is nice to be invited back to exhibit a small collection of new works. This has meant digging out pieces which have been finished and haven't been spoken for, such as "Noli Me Tangere":

Noli Me Tangere


But also making new pieces too, so the next few weeks will be spent working on those. I managed to start some of them on Monday and finished a trio of earrings made from tiny spanners today:

Drop-Forged - Earring Trio 1


Left to right, set with chrysoprase, green quartz and moonstone.
I've also managed to make a start on a pendant, the name of which was suggested by my friend and colleague, James Davidson... "Dr. Strangelove". It should be apparent why!

Dr. Stragelove (WIP) - 3


Although it doesn't really look like it, it is made from silver and the steel container from a CO2 cartridge of the sort used to make frothy cream! I've still got loads to do to it, but the shape is really pleasing and it is very, very light. The tail is going to be set with a stone where the propulsion would be on a real rocket.