Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Things have been incredibly busy at work, setting up the new students, returning all the Diamond Jubilee work to the makers, making some new pieces, preparing for the "ENOUGH: Violence" show at SCC next August as well as helping a friend of mine - Wing Mun Devenney - write her new book, a technical manual on soldering.
One of the aspects of my practice which I've not really thought about properly and which I don't document fully is the way in which I sometimes "doodle" with materials in downtimes. Waiting for some stones to be delivered or a casting to complete, or when I can't really take my eye off a class for any length of time, I frequently play with bits and pieces and offcuts on my bench. Sometimes these amount to nothing, sometimes they become pleasing-enough little pieces to be sold on Etsy and at other times they seem to be suggestive of a direction I might take. Over the last week, I've put together this:

The Black Prince - Front



A very human-scaled "Post Apocalyptic Cocktail Ring", which I named (post facto) The Black Prince as it is set with a large natural ruby, which, it has to be said, looks a lot more like a ruby than this photograph would lead you to believe. The black stones in the side are black diamonds and the back is set with a natural transparent white quartz. The crown element is a part of the rear mech of a bike and the shank is constructed from my favourite iron electrical conduit.
(The joke here being that the "Black Prince's Ruby" in the UK crown jewels is, in fact, a spinel...)



Today, I received an invite to be included in a jewellery magazine of which I was previously unaware and which I found to be very interesting: Creating Linus Jewellery. It is a strange name but has interviews with many interesting European and American jewellers, as well as basic workshop tips and tricks, all beautifully photographed and laid out. It is a pay-for-subscription but you can sign up for the issues until January for free. Well worth a look.



Off on holiday for a long weekend in Brighton. Absolutely nothing planned!