Friday, October 07, 2011

acrylic mess

It's funny how one thing going wrong can eclipse everything else which went right!
I've had that happen today. I picked up working on Future Legend again, having given it a break to get on with Fashion:Victim for a while. (Fashion:Victim is at an impasse as I am waiting for a jet carving to be made for it and for some stones to be sourced!)
Future Legend has been nearly completed for some time now, so it should be a matter of days - largely doing some engraving work - before it is finished and I constructed the base-plate on which the rest of the brooch will be assembled. This went according to plan:

Future Legend (WIP) 7

On top of this will sit an engraved plate, currently on my engraving bench, and then there is to be a shield which should be "enamelled" with acrylic enamels, the same acrylic enamels which I have used many, many times before:

Future Legend (WIP) 8

I have no idea what happened. The panel on the left should be an intense mid-blue and the panel on the top right a clear, deep red. Also, they are all full of bubbles. Probably the most annoying thing about this is that I now have to remove this incredibly tough resin and re-do the whole thing, possibly in real enamel, though the idea of firing transparent red onto cast silver does not exactly fill me with enthusiasm!

Other than that, I cleaned up the silver hawk-claw for Fashion:Victim and I'm very pleased with it:

Fashion:Victim - In Memoriam ALMcQ (WIP 53)

Fashion:Victim - In Memoriam ALMcQ (WIP 55)

Fashion:Victim - In Memoriam ALMcQ (WIP 54)

I'm very pleased that the hollowing-out exercise worked properly. It means that the claw is light.
One of my ex-students sold me a rather nice 4.5 ct. rough diamond cube too:

4 1/2 ct Rough Diamond 1

So, in reality, far from a bad day!